All That There Was - Part IV



“What is going on Parth? Why is he saying you killed his girlfriend?” I said. “It was an accident doc! Believe me! I used to work at a restaurant, she was a chef there and I was waiting tables.  She was the kindest person I had ever met. She was a good friend. One day we both were working late, I was talking to her and all of a sudden the owner came into the kitchen. He was very fussy about dating coworkers. He once fired his head chef over this. We were both scared, I told her to hide in the walk in freezer for sometime. He came in yelling at me, and got me arrested for stealing liquor from the restaurant. I tried to reason with him, but he wouldn’t listen. I was in custody for 4 days. I went to restaurant to talk to the owner when I got to know that her body was found next day in the morning by the owner. I was so scared that I forgot about her. The actual thief got arrested a few days after that. I couldn’t work there after that so I just moved on. I thought no one knew what happened that night but seems like his boyfriend found out. I regret the incident. Trust me, I couldn’t sleep for days, but it was just an accident. Doc! Please help me,” he said and started crying. Maybe this story is not entirely the imagination of an insane person. I have to help him. I consoled him and promised him that I’ll help him. I took him to the nearby restaurant to have lunch. He felt a bit better and told me he’ll stay in touch.



I sat there and ordered a coffee. My hand was stinging a bit. I kept thinking about the poor girl. My phone buzzed. It was my husband. Exasperated, I picked up. “Baby he is after me, save yourself,” was all he could say. I was panicked beyond words. I didn’t know what to do. I gathered some courage and called the cops. I ran and grabbed a taxi for home. The door was open, my heart sank. I went inside. There he was, reading a newspaper like nothing happened. “Hey baby!! You are back early. Everything ok?” he smiled. “I got your phone call. I thoughhhhttt…” and I just sat there, on the floor, relief rushing through me. I was just so glad that he was ok. “What happened sweetie?” he said and helped me up. I sat on a chair. “Let me bring some water for you.” Apparently it was some sick prank. I was wondering who could have done this, when something caught my eye. It was a note, in a half open drawer of the center table. I couldn’t read it, but it still had my handprint on it. I had coffee on my hand when I held the note. I went to the table and opened the drawer and it had wig, pages torn from my appointment book and that letter. I picked up the note. My mind was going haywire. What’s going on? How does he have the note? Suddenly I wasn’t sure I knew my own husband. Is he the boyfriend? Is that why he didn’t want me to help the poor chap? “Hey babe!! I was wondering which one is better? Getting frozen or being stabbed to death?”, I turned and my husband was waving a knife towards me.

“Baby what are you doing?” I stood up and started retreating slowly. “Nothing babe! Giving you what you deserve? You bit** I told you not to help the bas****. Is it that difficult to understand? See what have you done babe, I have to kill you now,” he kept coming towards me. I had to do something, I knew help is near I just had to stall him. “Baby!! I am so sorry. I know I shouldn’t have helped him. I came to tell you that I am not going to see him again,” I kept retreating. He jumped towards me and got hold of me. “Don’t lie to me bit**, I know you promised to help him,” he said and stabbed me on my shoulder. I gave out a cry. “Doc run!! Save yourself,” I heard and looked up. Parth’s voice was coming out of my husband’s lips. “Doc!! He vowed to kill my wife, but I won’t let him. I love you wifie, I told you I can do anything for you. I won’t let him hurt you,” and he put the knife on his neck. “Noooo!!!” I cried out and tried to stop his hand. I was too late, he had cut his own throat. World stood still after that. I was standing there holding the knife, everything was covered in his blood. I must have dropped the note when the cops came in. I remember everything now but I am not able to decide whether it’s a good thing or bad. I sat on the floor, and put my face in my hands and cried for a long time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its complicated!! - Part I

All That There Was - Part I

Its Complicated!! - Part II